Chicken is a versatile and delicious protein that can be enjoyed countless times. If you are looking for a simple and foolproof way to bake juicy chicken breasts, look no further than this easy-to-follow guide.
Baked chicken breast ingredients
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or rosemary leaves (optional)
What spices pair well with chicken?
Some popular options include paprika, cumin, garlic powder, sage, ginger, rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Additionally, some people like to use chili powder or hot sauce for a spicy kick!
No matter what spices you choose with your chicken breasts, just be sure to add them early in the cooking process so that they can infuse the meat and add flavor.
How to season chicken before cooking?
- Before seasoning your chicken breasts, ensure they are completely thawed and at room temperature.
- Next, pat the chicken dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture or grease. This will help the seasonings stick better and give you a crispier crust when cooking.
- Once your chicken is prepped, use your fingertips or a pair of kitchen scissors to gently score the surface of each breast in a crosshatch pattern. This helps distribute the seasonings more evenly and allows them to soak into the meat for maximum flavor.
- When seasoning your chicken, start by sprinkling on salt and pepper for an easy yet traditional option, or experiment by mixing your favorite spices and herbs to create a custom flavor profile. For extra flavor, you can add some chopped fresh garlic, onions, or a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Finally, let your seasoned chicken breasts rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before cooking so that the seasonings have time to penetrate the meat and deepen in flavor. You can cook chicken breasts in the oven, grill, or skillet as desired. Whether grilled or baked, these juicy and flavorful chicken breasts will surely be a hit with friends and family!
How long should you marinate chicken?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the length of time needed for marinating chicken will depend on various factors, including the cut and type of chicken being used, how strong the marinade is, and how much liquid is being used.
As a general guideline, most people recommend marinating chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to penetrate and develop fully. However, you may also want to experiment with leaving your chicken in the marinade longer to see if it results in even better flavor and juicier meat.
When deciding how long to marinate your chicken breasts, it’s best to follow your instincts and trust your taste preferences!
How to bake juicy chicken breast?
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet or 9×13-inch pan.
- Place the boneless, skinless chicken breasts on your prepared baking sheet or in your pan, and brush each breast with olive oil or melted butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs (if using) with salt, pepper, and any desired herbs or spices. You can add some chopped garlic or onions for extra flavor if desired.
- Sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumbs evenly over your chicken breasts, pressing down gently, so they stick well to the surface of each piece of meat.
- Bake your chicken breasts for 20-30 minutes, depending on how large they are and how you like them cooked. Rotate the baking sheet or pan once halfway through to ensure even cooking, and check the internal temperature of each breast using a meat thermometer to ensure that it has reached at least 165 degrees F.
- Once your chicken breasts are fully cooked, let them rest for 5-10 minutes before serving so the juices can redistribute throughout the meat.
Is it better to bake chicken at 350 or 400?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the optimal cooking temperature for chicken will depend on various factors, including how large your chicken breasts are and how well-done you prefer them cooked.
Some recommend baking chicken at 350 degrees F to achieve moist and tender meat. Others prefer higher temperatures of 400 or even 425 degrees F to get a crispier crust or more browned surface. Ultimately, it is best to experiment with different temperatures and cook times until you find what works best for your preferences and particular cuts of chicken. However, it is generally recommended that you avoid cooking your chicken breasts at high heat for too long, as this can cause them to become tough or dry out excessively.
Should you bake chicken covered or uncovered?
The best way to bake chicken depends on your individual preferences and the specific cut of meat you are using. However, many cooks recommend baking chicken uncovered to promote even browning and crispier skin on the outside. This can be especially important for bone-in cuts of chicken, which may not cook through properly if they are covered during baking.
On the other hand, some people prefer to cover their baked chicken while in the oven to keep its juices contained and prevent them from evaporating or seeping out onto your baking sheet or pan. This can also help ensure that your chicken breast cooks evenly through without drying out too much on the outside.
Ultimately, if you choose to cover or uncover your chicken while it is in the oven, just be sure always to use an accurate meat thermometer and follow any other recommended cooking times or temperatures to ensure that your chicken comes out perfectly cooked and delicious every time.
How do you keep chicken breast moist?
There are a few different strategies that you can use to keep your chicken breast moist and juicy when baking. One of the most important things is to start with high-quality meat and trim off excess fat, as this can cause your chicken to dry out more easily during cooking.
You may also want to brine or marinate your chicken breasts before baking to infuse them with extra flavor and moisture. Some other tips for keeping your baked chicken breast moist might include using a low temperature during cooking, rotating the pan halfway through, and letting the cooked chicken rest for a few minutes after removing it from the oven so that its juices have time to redistribute throughout the meat. Additionally, some recommend covering their baked chicken while in the oven to help keep its juices contained and prevent them from evaporating or seeping out onto your baking sheet or pan.
Ultimately, how you keep your chicken breast moist when baking will depend on a variety of factors, including the particular type and cut of meat that you are using, how long and at what temperature you are cooking it, and how much moisture is already built up within the chicken during the cooking process. However, with a little experimentation and some basic kitchen know-how, you should be able to find a method that works well for you and produces consistently moist, tender, and delicious chicken breasts every time.
Side dishes for baked chicken breast
A meal includes roasted vegetables, rice or quinoa, mashed potatoes, or a fresh garden salad. Some people also like to serve their chicken breast with a flavorful sauce, such as a pesto or barbecue-inspired marinade. Whether you pair your baked chicken breast, it is sure to be delicious and satisfying!
- To bake juicy chicken breasts, starting with high-quality meat that has been properly trimmed out of excess fat is important. Before cooking, you should also brine your chicken breasts using a simple salt water solution or a flavorful marinade with herbs, spices, and other complementary ingredients.
- If you prefer a crispy crust on your baked chicken breasts, try sprinkling on some grated parmesan cheese or crushed croutons along with the breadcrumb coating.
- For added flavor, try adding lemon juice or zest, chopped fresh herbs, or other seasonings of your choice to the breading mixture.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet when cooking your chicken breasts, as doing so may cause them to steam rather than bake. If necessary, use an additional baking sheet and cook in batches until all of the chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
- To ensure that your baked chicken breasts remain juicy and tender, ensure not overcook them! Try using a meat thermometer or instant-read thermometer for precise cooking times, and remove it from the oven as soon as the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Enjoy your delicious, juicy chicken breasts with your favorite sides and sauces!
Fried Chicken Recipe FAQs
How long does it take to cook chicken in the oven at 350?
An average large chicken breast should take approximately 30-45 minutes to cook at 350 degrees, depending on your preferences.
How long does it take to bake thick chicken breast at 400?
An average large and thick chicken breast should take approximately 45-60 minutes to cook at 400 degrees.
Do you season both sides of chicken?
Yes, it is recommended to season both sides of the chicken with your choice of salt and pepper or other herbs and spices. You may also want to brine your chicken breasts beforehand for extra flavor and juiciness.
Do you put water in the pan when baking chicken?
No, adding water to the pan is unnecessary when baking chicken. You may wish to use a lightly greased or non-stick cooking spray for ease of cleanup and extra crispiness. You can also line your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and even browning on all sides.
Should you poke holes in chicken breast to marinate?
There is no set rule for how to marinate chicken. Some people poke holes in the chicken breast with a fork before marinating, while others simply brush on the marinade using a pastry brush or other tool. Experiment with different methods and find what works best for you!
What makes chicken taste the best?
Many factors can contribute to how good your chicken tastes, including the quality of the meat, the type and amount of seasoning used, how it is cooked, and more. To ensure that your chicken tastes its best, it is important to start with high-quality ingredients, choose a flavorful marinade or rub, and cook it to perfection. Other simple tips, such as bringing your chicken breasts and avoiding overcrowding on the baking sheet, can also help you achieve juicy, flavorful chicken every time!
Baked chicken breast is a perfect choice if you are looking for a simple yet satisfying dinner option. This easy and versatile dish can be customized in various ways to suit your tastes, whether you prefer crispy or juicy, plain or smothered in sauce. With just a few tips and tricks, you can enjoy delicious, juicy chicken breasts every time you bake!
I’m Godfrey Jensen, CEO and head chef at Lapps Meats. We’re a top-quality butcher with over 70 years of experience. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best, freshest products possible. We take our food seriously, and we love serving the community by providing them with quality meat products.