How to Grill Chicken Drumsticks with BBQ Sauce
Grilling chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce is a great way to add flavor to your meal. It’s easy to do and can be done in just a few simple steps. Here are the basics of how to grill chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce.
Why we love Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks?
They are quick and easy to make, requiring very minimal preparation time. The smoky flavor of the BBQ sauce combined with the juicy grilled chicken makes for an irresistible dish that is sure to please everyone at your table.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are a great source of protein and can easily be served as part of a larger meal or as a stand-alone dish. You can customize how you season the chicken drumsticks, adding additional herbs and spices to your liking!
- Chicken drumsticks
- BBQ sauce
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make Marinade stick to Chicken Drumsticks?
Before marinating the chicken drumsticks, coat them with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper for better flavor. When preparing your marinade, use an acidic ingredient like lemon juice or white vinegar to help it stick better to the chicken pieces. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours before grilling so that all of the flavors can penetrate the meat properly.
Also, make sure you cook the chicken drumsticks for a few minutes before adding the sauce so that it will caramelize and stick better as it cooks.
Step by step instructions
- Start by preheating the grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly brush each drumstick with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on the preheated grill, and cook for 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through but still juicy inside.
Assemble the BBQ Sauce
- In a bowl, combine ¼ cup of BBQ sauce with 2 tablespoons of water until evenly mixed together.
- Once combined, add the sauce to the bowl containing your grilled chicken drumsticks and toss to evenly coat all pieces in sauce.
- Make sure the BBQ sauce you are using has some sugar in it so that it will caramelize when heated
Grill Your Chicken Drumsticks Again With BBQ Sauce
Return the chicken drumsticks to the preheated grill, and cook for 1 minute on each side or until the BBQ sauce begins to caramelize around the edges of the chicken pieces (you can cook them longer if you want them extra crispy).
Be careful not to overcook the chicken drumsticks as this can cause them to dry out quickly if done for too long. Serve your grilled BBQ chicken drumsticks while hot, and enjoy!
How do you keep BBQ sauce from sticking to the grill?
1. Make sure to preheat the grill before adding your chicken drumsticks to it.
2. To keep the BBQ sauce from sticking to the grill, lightly oil or spray the grates with cooking oil or non-stick spray prior to adding the chicken pieces to help prevent sticking.
3. Keep a clean brush handy and scrape off any excess BBQ sauce that may have stuck while cooking as this will help keep your grill clean and free of buildup over time.
4. When done grilling, be sure to turn off the heat and wait until completely cool before brushing away any extra bits of food debris that may have been left behind on the grates.
Tips & Tricks
1. For extra flavor, try adding additional herbs and spices to the marinade as this will help enhance the flavor of your grilled chicken drumsticks.
2. If you find that the BBQ sauce is burning too quickly on the grill, you can reduce or lower the heat to avoid it from burning too quickly.
3. Another great way to keep BBQ sauce from sticking to the grill is to line a pan with aluminum foil and place your chicken pieces in there before adding in your BBQ sauce for an even cooking experience without any fear of sticking.
4. Make sure you remove any extra pieces of skin or fat from your chicken drumsticks prior to grilling them as this will ensure they cook evenly and won’t stick to the grates.
5. Finally, it’s important to let the chicken drumsticks rest for a few minutes after grilling before serving so that all of the juices have time to redistribute throughout the meat for an even juicier piece of grilled chicken.
Enjoy your Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with BBQ Sauce! With these simple steps and tips, you can make perfect grilled chicken drumsticks every time and enjoy them with your favorite BBQ sauce! Happy grilling!
Nutrition Information for Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with BBQ Sauce
- Serving Size 4 drumsticks (1/4 lb)
- Calories 258 kcal
- Carbohydrate 6.2 g – of which sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 25.5 g
- Fat 12.6 g – of which saturated 2.3 g
- Sodium 715.6 mg
- Fiber 0 g
- Cholesterol 75.3 mg
FAQs Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Does BBQ sauce burn on grill?
Yes, BBQ sauce can burn quickly on the grill if it is not monitored closely. To prevent this from happening, keep the heat lower and make sure to keep an eye on the drumsticks as they cook.
Can you overcook chicken drumsticks on the grill?
Yes, if cooked for too long, chicken drumsticks can become dry and tough. To avoid this, check them frequently while cooking and remove them once they reach an internal temperature of 165F (74C).
Can you marinate chicken drumsticks for grilled bbq?
Yes, marinating your chicken drumsticks before grilling is a great way to infuse them with extra flavor. Simply combine your favorite spices, herbs, and liquids in a bag or container overnight and add the marinade when ready to cook. This will help ensure juicy, flavorful drumsticks every time.
How long should I grill chicken drumsticks?
It typically takes around 20-25 minutes to properly cook chicken drumsticks on the grill, however you will want to keep an eye on them and check their internal temperature until it reaches 165F (74C). Once they have reached this temperature, remove them from the heat and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
How do I know when grilled chicken drumsticks are done?
The best way to tell when your grilled chicken drumsticks are done is by using a digital thermometer. Insert it into the thickest part of the meat and make sure that it reads at least 165F (74C). If it does, then your drumsticks are ready to be served.
Can chicken drumsticks be grilled frozen?
No, it is not recommended to grill frozen chicken drumsticks as they can overcook on the outside and remain raw in the middle. To ensure even cooking, make sure that your chicken drumsticks are thawed before grilling.
Do you put BBQ sauce on chicken before or after baking?
It is generally recommended to apply BBQ sauce to your chicken drumsticks after they have been cooked as the sugar in the BBQ sauce can cause it to burn if applied before cooking. However, you can also mix some of the BBQ sauce into your marinade for extra flavor prior to grilling.
What oil is best for grilling chicken?
Any type of light oil with a high smoke point, such as canola or vegetable, is best for grilling chicken drumsticks. This will help ensure that the chicken does not burn and also helps to create an even base for your BBQ sauce.
Should I close the grill when grilling?
It is generally recommended to keep the grill lid open while grilling chicken drumsticks as this will help ensure that they cook evenly. Closing the lid during cooking can cause them to steam, resulting in dry and tough meat.
Should you season chicken if using BBQ sauce?
Yes, it is always a good idea to season your chicken drumsticks before grilling as this will help enhance the flavor and create a flavorful base for the BBQ sauce. Try using garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper for a delicious combo!
Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are a delicious way to enjoy some summertime eats. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can easily create your own tasty meal. Add in some flavorful marinade and BBQ sauce and the result is mouth-watering finger licking good!
Having the right seasoning, how to make the BBQ sauce stick to the chicken drumsticks, how to caramelize it on the grill, as well as how to keep it from sticking to your grill will help you create a dish that your guests will love. As always, be sure to double-check any nutrition information if health considerations are important for you. Enjoy grilling this yummy treat!
I’m Godfrey Jensen, CEO and head chef at Lapps Meats. We’re a top-quality butcher with over 70 years of experience. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best, freshest products possible. We take our food seriously, and we love serving the community by providing them with quality meat products.