Fried potato balls are a delicious and versatile snack that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. You will need some basic ingredients and cooking equipment to make these tasty treats.
What is a potato ball made of?
- 2 – 3 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 – 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dry/panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced chives or chopped scallions
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, salt
- Cooking oil or butter for frying
What are the benefits of potato balls?
Fried potato balls are a nutritious snack, made primarily from potatoes, cheese, and bacon. They are high in protein and complex carbohydrates, which can help to keep you feeling full and energized throughout the day.
They are also low in calories and contain other beneficial nutrients such as calcium, vitamin C, and potassium.
How to make fried potato balls?
Mix the mashed potatoes, eggs, shredded cheese, and bacon in a large bowl until well combined.
Next, stir in the breadcrumbs, chives or scallions, garlic powder, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Heat some cooking oil or butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, form the potato mixture into balls and carefully drop them into the hot oil.
Fry the potato balls on each side for 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy all over.
Tips and Tricks for the fluffiest potato balls recipe
– To get the fluffiest and lightest potato balls, it is important to use cold mashed potatoes rather than freshly boiled ones.
– When forming the balls, pack them tightly and do not overwork the mixture, or they may become dense and heavy.
– For a crispier outside on your potato balls, try frying them in a combination of butter and oil.
– To add even more flavor, you can experiment with different types of cheese or other mix-ins such as chopped herbs, breadcrumbs, or spices.
What to serve with fried mashed potato balls?
Fried mashed potato balls are a delicious and versatile snack that can be enjoyed on their own or served with various dips, spreads, or condiments. Some tasty accompaniments include:
Sauce & Dipping Sauce
- Guacamole, Sour Cream, or Hummus
- Tzatziki Sauce, BBQ Sauce, or Hot Sauce
- Ketchup, ranch dressing, or chimichurri sauce.
Snacks & Appetizers
- Green Salad
- Mozzarella Sticks & Onion Rings
- Pizza Bites, Popcorn Chicken, or Cheese Quesadillas
- Chicken Tenders or Steak Bites
- Other fried snacks, such as chicken tenders or potato chips
- Water, Juice, Soda, or Tea
- Alcoholic Drinks such as Beer or Cocktails
- Milkshakes or Smoothies
Bread or Soup
- Garlic Bread, Naan Bread, or Crackers
- Bowls of Chili or Pasta Soup
- Mac & Cheese or Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Leftover crispy fried potatoes balls
There are several ways to repurpose if you have leftover crispy fried mashed potato balls. You can use them as a component in other dishes such as tacos, quesadillas, or pizza toppings.
Alternatively, you can reheat the leftover balls and serve them with eggs for breakfast or enjoy them cold in a salad or snack. Whatever you choose, these tasty fried potatoes are sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
FAQs of Fried Potato Balls Recipe:
- Is potato good for weight loss?
Potatoes are a healthy and nutritious food that can help with weight loss. They are low in calories but high in fiber and complex carbohydrates, which can help to keep you feeling full and energized. Additionally, they contain many beneficial nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium, and calcium.
- What is the best way to cook potato balls?
There are many different cooking methods that you can use to cook potato balls, such as roasting, baking, or grilling. However, the best way to ensure crispy and light results is by pan-frying them in a hot skillet with oil or butter. This makes the outer texture golden brown and crispy while keeping the inside soft and fluffy.
- How many calories are in a fried mashed potato ball?
A fried mashed potato ball contains around 100-150 calories, depending on the ingredients used and how it is cooked. To further reduce the calorie content of your potato balls, opt for a lighter cooking oil like canola or grapeseed oil instead of butter or lard.
You can also use non-fat milk or Greek yogurt instead of regular milk or cream. Additionally, serving your balls with a side of vegetables or a lean protein can help to balance out the calories in your meal further.
- How to keep fried potato balls from falling apart?
There are a few key tips that you can follow to help keep your potato balls from falling apart. First, make sure to use cold mashed potatoes rather than freshly boiled ones, as this helps to reduce the amount of moisture in the mixture.
Additionally, be sure to leave the mixture manageable when forming your balls and pack them tightly together, so they hold their shape. Another key tip is to let your balls rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before pan-frying them, which helps them to set and retain their shape.
- How long should potatoes be soaked before frying?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as how long you need to soak your potatoes before frying depends on different factors. For best results, it is recommended that you use peeled potatoes and cut them into even-sized pieces before soaking them in cold water for at least 30 minutes or overnight. This allows the starch to be leached out, which helps your fried potato balls to stay crispy and light.
However, it is also important not to soak your potatoes for too long, as this can cause them to fall apart or become soggy when added to the hot oil.
Fried mashed potato balls in other versions
There are many different variations of fried mashed potato balls that you can try, depending on your preferences and available ingredients.
For example, you can add different herbs or spices to the mixture for extra flavor, or pair it with a variety of dipping sauces such as ketchup, sour cream, or a spicy chili sauce.
You can also try using different potato varieties, such as sweet potatoes or purple potatoes, which are great for adding a pop of color to your dish. Additionally, you can experiment with different cooking methods, such as roasting, baking, or even deep-frying for added texture and flavor.
Whatever combination you choose, these tasty fried mashed potato balls will surely be a hit with your family and friends!
I’m Godfrey Jensen, CEO and head chef at Lapps Meats. We’re a top-quality butcher with over 70 years of experience. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best, freshest products possible. We take our food seriously, and we love serving the community by providing them with quality meat products.