How To Make Garden Egg Stew For Yam
Garden egg stew is a delicious dish made from garden eggs, tomatoes, onions, and other spices. It can be served over yam for a hearty meal that is sure to please!
- 3 cups of sliced garden eggs (aubergines)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup (optional)
- Large pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring spoons
How to make egg sauce in Nigeria?
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir together and cook for a few more minutes until everything is fragrant.
- Add the sliced garden eggs and stir well to combine with the other ingredients. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Add the tomato paste (or ketchup) if desired and season with salt to taste. Simmer over low heat for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
How to cook Yam in Nigeria?
- Peel the yam and cut into cubes.
- Place in a pot with enough water to cover the yam cubes completely.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the yams are tender.
- Drain off any extra liquid and serve your boiled yam with garden egg stew!
- For an even more flavorful stew, consider adding some smoked paprika or cumin powder as well as other herbs like coriander and parsley towards the end of cooking time.
- To make a creamy stew, whisk in some heavy cream or coconut milk towards the end of cooking time.
- Serve with steamed rice or fluffy couscous as well as your boiled yam to make a complete meal.
- To add extra texture and flavor, top your garden egg stew with crunchy nuts such as peanuts or cashews before serving.
- If you’re looking for a quick and easy version of this dish, try using canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones and skip the tomato paste altogether. This will still yield an incredibly delicious stew!
How do you make garden egg stew in Asanka?
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir well and cook for a few more minutes until everything is fragrant.
- Add sliced garden eggs and stir to combine with other ingredients. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Add Asanka seasoning to taste, which usually consists of chili powder, herbs and spices such as thyme, allspice, cinnamon and cloves among others depending on how spicy you like your stew. Simmer over low heat for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve with steamed rice or couscous for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Tips about making Egg Stew
- For a richer flavor, consider using coconut milk or heavy cream in place of regular dairy.
- If you don’t have Asanka seasoning, use any other type of curry powder that you may have on hand.
- To add extra colour and flavour to this dish, try adding some roasted red peppers or sweet corn towards the end of cooking time.
- Leftover stew can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Enjoy!
- If you are not a fan of garden eggs, substitute cubed potatoes or carrots instead.
- To make your stew spicier, feel free to adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to your liking.
- For a vegan version, replace the egg with a can of chickpeas or any other type of legume.
These are just some tips and ideas on how to make garden egg stew for yam. With a few simple ingredients and techniques, you can create a delicious, flavorful dish that is sure to please the whole family! Enjoy!
What to serve with Egg stew?
Egg stew is delicious served with steamed rice, couscous or any other type of grain. It also goes well with roasted vegetables such as sweet potatoes and carrots, or a fresh green salad. For an extra kick of flavor, consider adding some freshly chopped herbs like parsley, cilantro or mint to the dish before serving.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to how to make Garden Egg Stew for Yam – get creative and enjoy this traditional Nigerian dish today! Bon Appetit!
Yam & Garden Egg Stew Recipe FAQs
What are Garden Eggs?
Garden eggs, also known as African Eggplant, are a type of egg-shaped vegetable that is native to West Africa. They have firm flesh with a slightly sweet flavor and can be eaten raw or cooked in various dishes.
What is the effect of eating garden egg?
Eating garden eggs are known to have many health benefits including improving digestion, boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation. They are also high in fiber, vitamins A, C and E as well as minerals such as calcium, iron and potassium. Garden eggs can help boost your energy levels as well and provide you with essential nutrients for good overall health.
Is yam and egg good for dinner?
Yes, yam and egg stew can make a great dinner. It is high in fiber, protein and essential vitamins and minerals, making it a nutritious meal choice. Plus, it’s delicious! So go ahead and enjoy this flavorful dish for your next dinner.
Is garden egg stew gluten-free?
Yes, this garden egg stew is naturally gluten-free as it does not contain any wheat or other grains that contain gluten. So go ahead and enjoy this delicious, nutritious dish without worrying about dietary restrictions!
How many calories are in egg stew?
This egg stew recipe contains approximately 500 calories per serving. This varies depending on how much oil, salt and other ingredients you use when making the dish. To reduce the calorie count, consider using less oil or substituting it with vegetable broth instead.
What vegetables go well with Garden Egg Stew?
Vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, bell peppers and onions work really well in this stew. For extra flavour, you can also add some fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro.
Can I use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones for garden egg stew?
Yes, you can certainly use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones for this dish. However, it’s best to avoid using tomato paste if you plan on using canned tomatoes as the stew will already have enough tomato flavour.
Are there any vegan options for Garden Egg Stew?
Yes, you can easily make a vegan version of this delicious garden egg stew. Just replace the egg with a can of chickpeas or any other type of legume such as lentils or black beans instead. The rest of the ingredients in the recipe are all plant-based so you won’t need to make any other modifications for it to be suitable for vegans.
Can I freeze Garden Egg Stew?
Yes, you can freeze this garden egg stew for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool the stew completely before transferring it into a freezer-safe container or bag. When ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through.
Can I make this Garden Egg Stew in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can definitely use a slow cooker to make this garden egg stew. Just add all of the ingredients except for the eggs and set it to low heat. Once the stew has cooked through, add in the eggs and stir until they are cooked through. Serve with steamed rice or couscous and enjoy!
Hope you found this FAQ helpful and now have all the answers to how to make Garden Egg Stew for Yam. With these tips in mind, you can easily prepare a delicious, nutritious meal that everyone will love. Bon Appetit!
I’m Godfrey Jensen, CEO and head chef at Lapps Meats. We’re a top-quality butcher with over 70 years of experience. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best, freshest products possible. We take our food seriously, and we love serving the community by providing them with quality meat products.