Secrets to Crafting the Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic American comfort food that has been enjoyed for generations. It’s a simple sandwich made with bread and cheese that is cooked until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy. This sandwich is perfect for lunch, dinner, or even a late-night snack. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
Why is it called a grilled cheese?
The grilled cheese sandwich has been around for over a century, and its origins are unclear. Some people believe that it was invented by the ancient Romans, who would melt cheese on bread. Others believe that it was created in the United States in the 1920s when bread and cheese became readily available. Whatever its origins may be, the name “grilled cheese” is believed to have come from the method of cooking the sandwich on a grill or griddle.
What cheese is best for a grilled cheese?
The cheese you use for your grilled cheese sandwich will greatly impact its taste and texture. The most popular cheese for grilled cheese is cheddar, which has a sharp flavor and melts well. However, you can use any cheese you like, including American, Swiss, or even a combination of cheeses. Just make sure to choose a cheese that melts well, as some cheeses may separate and become greasy when melted.
What is the best bread for grilled cheese?
The bread you use for your grilled cheese sandwich is just as important as the cheese. You want to choose a bread that is sturdy enough to hold the cheese but also has a nice texture. Sourdough, whole wheat, and white bread are all great options. Just make sure to use sliced bread that is at least ½ inch thick, as thin bread can become too crispy and burn easily.
Ingredients & Tools
To make a grilled cheese sandwich, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 slices of bread
- 1-2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 1-2 slices of cheese
You’ll also need the following tools:
- A frying pan or griddle
- A spatula
- A knife
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Now that you have your ingredients and tools, let’s get started on making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
- Preheat your frying pan or griddle over medium-low heat.
- Spread butter or margarine on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, buttered side down, on the frying pan or griddle.
- Place your cheese on top of the bread.
- Place the other slice of bread, buttered side up, on top of the cheese.
- Cook the sandwich for 2-3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich with a spatula and cook the other side for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
- Remove the sandwich from the frying pan or griddle and cut it in half with a knife.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese
- Use room temperature butter or margarine to make it easier to spread on the bread.
- Use a non-stick frying pan or griddle to prevent the sandwich from sticking.
- Cook the sandwich over medium-low heat to prevent the bread from burning.
- Use a lid or cover to help melt the cheese faster.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different cheeses and breads to find your perfect combination.
Grilled Cheese Sides
Grilled cheese sandwiches are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a variety of sides to make a complete meal. Here are a few suggestions:
- Tomato soup: This classic pairing is a match made in heaven. The warm soup and cheesy sandwich complement each other perfectly.
- Salad: A fresh salad with a tangy vinaigrette can balance out the richness of the grilled cheese sandwich.
- Pickles: A crunchy dill pickle can add a nice contrast to the soft and gooey sandwich.
- Chips: A side of potato chips can add some extra crunch to your meal.
Reheating Grilled Cheese
If you have leftover grilled cheese sandwiches, you can easily reheat them for a quick and easy meal. Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the leftover sandwich on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
Alternatively, you can reheat your grilled cheese sandwich in a frying pan over medium heat. Just make sure to keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
While grilled cheese sandwiches are undeniably delicious, they are not the healthiest option. Here are the nutrition facts for a basic grilled cheese sandwich made with cheddar cheese and white bread:
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 15g
- Sodium: 720mg
Keep in mind that the nutrition facts can vary depending on the type and amount of cheese and bread you use.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed any time of day. By following the tips and instructions in this article, you can make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich every time. Experiment with different cheeses and breads to find your favorite combination, and don’t forget to serve it with a delicious side dish.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches FAQs
Are you supposed to butter both sides of bread for grilled cheese?
No, you only need to butter one side of each slice of bread. This will help the bread toast and become crispy.
Should I slice or grate cheese for grilled cheese?
It’s up to you! Sliced cheese is easier to use and can be arranged evenly on the bread, while grated cheese can melt more quickly and evenly.
Do you flip grilled cheese?
Yes, you should flip the sandwich halfway through cooking to ensure that both sides of the bread are evenly toasted and the cheese is melted.
Is mayo or butter better for grilled cheese?
Butter is the traditional choice for grilled cheese, but some people prefer to use mayo instead. Mayo can create a crispy, golden crust and adds a slightly tangy flavor.
How do you make grilled cheese taste better?
To make your grilled cheese sandwich even more delicious, try adding some extras such as sliced tomatoes, bacon, or avocado. You can also use different types of bread and cheese to mix up the flavor.
Should you cook grilled cheese fast or slow?
Cook your grilled cheese sandwich over medium-low heat to prevent burning and ensure that the cheese melts evenly.
Do you grease the pan when making grilled cheese?
No, you don’t need to grease the pan when making grilled cheese. The butter or margarine on the bread should be enough to prevent sticking.
Should I wrap a grilled cheese in foil?
You can wrap your grilled cheese sandwich in foil to keep it warm if you’re not ready to eat it right away. Just make sure to remove the foil before reheating to prevent the bread from becoming soggy. Enjoy!
I’m Godfrey Jensen, CEO and head chef at Lapps Meats. We’re a top-quality butcher with over 70 years of experience. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best, freshest products possible. We take our food seriously, and we love serving the community by providing them with quality meat products.